Fudge Cake
Cream together 1 T butter and 3/4 cup of sugar.
Sift together:
1 c flour
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 T cocoa
Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture alternating with 1/2 cup milk. Pour into buttered pan (oblong baking dish). Sprinkle top with 1/2 c chopped nuts.
Mix well: 1/2 c white sugar, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/4 c cocoa. Sprinkle this on top of cake batter.
Pour: 1 1/4 cups boiling water over all the cake. Bake in 350 oven.
This recipe of my grandmother's intrigued me. It has no eggs, very little fat, and you pour boiling water on the batter. I didn't understand how it could work. I had to try it. I have to say it was amazing. It is like a fudge lava cake. I could have eaten the whole thing.
The more I thought about it the more I wondered if this wasn't a Depression cake. No eggs and very little butter would fit the criteria. I highly recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment