BOM banner

Friday, April 10, 2009

Planting Is Started

I have been trying all week to get to my garden. Either I couldn't do it because I had something else to do, or the weather wasn't cooperating. It has looked like it was going to rain all day today, although the forcast only said 30% chance. I decided I was going to do it, raining or not. I got all my plants in, but the strawberries. I am still trying to get the beds done. Hopefully, tomorrow. We shall see what the weather does. I only got a few sprinkles on me tonight. Now I would love it to rain. I noticed last year that the plants always perked up and grew a little more after a good rain verses just being watered.

So right now I have cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage,
yellow onions, and tomatoes. I am sprouting carrots and parsnips, because I was told they do better that way. i also put in some marigold's near the tomatoes to keep off the tomato worms. This year I am going to be a little more proactive about spraying for the white moth that eats the broccoli, cabbage and sprouts.
This snap dragon plant came up again from last year. The flowers on it are really pretty. There is only one open right now, but it is loaded. Speaking of loaded. I looked at the pear tree again tonight. The pears are starting to form, and it looks like there are around 30. I am so excited.
This box is the root vegetable box. It is deeper than the others. I planted 6 squares of yellow onions. You can see in the top left hand corner I have a volunteer from last year. I'm not sure if it is going to be a yellow or purple onion. Ann planted both for me. It will be a surprise. Down on the bottom row, I have garlic coming in again from last year.
I decided to cut all of those tulips that came up together. I wanted to enjoy them inside. They are so pretty.

No comments: