BOM banner

Saturday, March 7, 2009

My New Baby

A couple of months ago, during the time of soaring gas prices, I realized that there was no reason that we couldn't downsize our car. With Ann basically gone from home, we don't have the need of a larger family car. If we do go on any more family vacations, we will probably fly. I mentioned it to Chris and we left it there.

Slowly the last couple of months the van has been nickle and diming us. Wednesday night Chris had to drive it to a meeting. When I got in it to go to work Thursday morning I couldn't get the seat to move forward. It must have come unconnected, or it has a short. I could reach the petals, but I felt like a little kid. Chris and the boys had a campout Friday night for scouts. He told me at breakfast if he came home to a new car Saturday it would be okay. I couldn't believe it. He told me what our monthly payment limit was, and said since it was going to be mine I could pick it out.

Sooo, Friday and Saturday instead of grocery shopping I went car shopping. I went to three different dealerships, and test drove three. The one I got was at the Hyundai dealership. I got a used 2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ. I love it. It feels like a sports car, but is more practical. It has some nice upgrades, like leather seats and a moon roof.

One of the guys I work with at Cracker Barrel said that the Cobalt replaced the Cavalier. He said it is basically a Saturn with upgrades. He said if I treat it right, it will run forever. That was great to hear.

I have to admit though, that if I had tried to buy the same car a year ago, I probably couldn't have gotten it. Another statement to the economy. Both the other dealerships that I went to said that they would give me $1000 for the van. That is more than I was expecting, so I was happy with that.


I was in the Hyundai dealership at 3:30 in the afternoon and they said they had not sold a car yet. Saturday's are usually their best days. They really wanted to make the sale. I told them bottom line what my monthly payment had to be. I said that my husband was letting me make the decision, but if my payment was more, he was NOT going to be happy. I wasn't trying to play them, just be honest. They ended up giving me $2,200 on the van to make my payments where they had to be. Works for me. I love it. Maybe this is my midlife crisis car....

No comments: