BOM banner

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Planning and Planting

Well, here it is March again. The last year has gone so fast. Things are blooming and growing all over town. I had to post some pictures. I had two more tulips blossom this week and they are gorgeous. I have never seen one like it. I love them. I also got a close up of some of my daffodils.
Today I spent most of the day running around and buying stuff for the flower bed up front and for the garden this year. I tried to get some ground cover and some flowers. I got some new petunias this year that are supposed to be really good in this area. They are an annual, but the nursery said they reseed. I got hearts and flowers and a trailing rosemary for the edges. The other two are flowers that are perennials, and should look nice.
I thought I would also post a picture of a couple of my roses. They are so pretty right now.


I noticed when I went to the back yard that it has gone to pot in a way. I didn't winter it over very well. There is a lot of work to be done. I need to put new soil into my raised beds, lay new ground cover and make the new strawberry beds. I would like to take the wall over by the garden and clean that all out and make a flower bed. I eventually want to have all kinds of flowers in there that will last all year. All kinds of varieties. I doubt I will get any flowers into it this year, but I would like to get it cleaned up anyway. I also need to start a compost area for the garden.

I wanted to get strawberry beds made last year, but we just didn't get it done. Nathan and I went and got the stuff this afternoon. They are going to be tiered. The bottom row will be 4x6x9 the row on top of that will be 2x6x8 and then 1x6x8. I will have to paint them first, line them and then put the soil in them before I plant. I am excited for the berries though. I also got a couple of rhubarb plants for Chris. He loves strawberry rhubarb pie. Might as well grow my own.

Last year we didn't get a blossom out of our pear tree. If the blossoms are any indication it is going to be loaded this year. I just hope they doesn't break the branches. We may have to pick a few of the fruit off if they get too heavy.
When we moved last year Chris brought his blackberry bush. Last week he went out and got a couple of more. Today I found him a boysenberry. The raspberry plants I got him last year didn't make it :< My apple tree is starting to come alive. I am so excited. I doubt it will have fruit though. It is only a year old.
Can you tell you can tell what we are going to be doing for the next week or two? How about you? Getting ready for spring?

1 comment:

Ann said...

Looks like you all have big plans!! Good luck with all of it, I'm sure it'll look awesome. :)