BOM banner

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Our Back Yard

All of us are so tired we can hardly move tonight. We got our tax check yesterday and so this morning we went and bought some things for the back yard. We got a wheel barrow, lawn mower, small rototiller and fruit trees. We have lots of plans, and it will be really nice when it is done. We are just going to do a bit at a time.

We came home and got the boys up. I took CJ and he and I worked for 3 or 4 hours on getting soil mixed for the remaining garden boxes and buckets that I was planting in. I went around the house this morning and picked up buckets that we were using for different things, washed them out and now they are planters! Recycling at it's best. Although I may invest in some white plastic paint to cover up the laundry soap label down the road :> I planted the potatoes that the neighbors gave us last night. I asked and they are supposed to be new potatoes. They said that when they cut them up they were not sure. They are purple inside. They didn't know if that was the stuff they use to treat them so they don't rot or not. I guess we will see when we harvest them. Whatever they turn out to be it will be fun to try.While CJ and I worked on the garden boxes Chris and Nathan worked on the "orchard" area. We bought five new fruit trees. Two different peaches, a nectarine, an apricot and a cherry. There was all ready a pear in back when we bought the house, although I am not sure what kind it is. I wanted to get an apple since the Fuji I got for Mother's Day died. We looked for a Fuji or a Gala and couldn't find one. Everyone has them on order. Hopefully we can get one in this year.

When we all got done, CJ and Chris went out front to mow and clean up out there. Nathan and I cleaned up a bit and went to the nursery.

Jan, our former neighbor, had given me a couple of cherry tomatoes and a couple of cucumber plants that she had too many of the other night. I wanted to pick her brain. Last year her peppers were 3 feet high and must have had 15 peppers on them. I wanted to see how she did it. She said she didn't have any tricks she just feeds them. She said one week she gives them a little bit of Miracle Grow and the next week a trowel full of steer manure. I'm going to try it and see if it will work for me.

I bought pickling cucumbers, regular tomato plants, broccoli, cauliflower and peppers. I got several varieties. Two green, a poblano and a new sweet pepper called a "chocolate". It is brown and is supposed to be sweeter than a green, red, yellow or an orange. I thought I would try one. My neighbor Joy gave me an Anahiem. She puts them in her salsa. I am planning on salsa with the tomatoes and peppers, so I figured why not. Chris and Nathan like heat in their salsa. I put them in buckets. With adding the steer manure, that will raise the bottom a little, and they don't like wind and the cold. I thought this might protect them some.

When we went to the nursery this morning outside in front we saw the perfect waterfall/pond to put in the back yard. We want to put it in the southeast corner. I asked them if the could give me a price estimate. They said they put it in 2 years ago. With all the rocks and plants and everything it was about $3,000. I wonder how much it would be if we did it ourselves??? Something to think about for the future.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Tell Jan I said hi!!