BOM banner

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Strawberry Season

One of the things that I love about this time of year is the fresh fruit that comes into season. I love fresh fruit. It is better than candy. With Bountiful Basket Monday they had a flat of strawberries for $8. That is a really good price for this area. Then yesterday, Cheryl at work, said that her husband could get flats for $9. I ordered one from him too. I know, I know that is a lot of fruit. But I couldn't resist. They were absolutely gorgeous. Everyone of them was perfectly ripe and sweet. It has been years since I have made jam, but I thought that would be a good thing to do with one of the flats that I had bought. Strawberry is all the guys favorite. I found a 3 ingredient recipe for sugar free freezer jam online. That was just about my speed for a project I was doing after work! I went to the dollar store and got plastic cup containers with lids to put it in. I went to three stores before I found freezer pectin. (I will have to go back and buy more for later this summer. I'm thinking I should make some peach too.) It only took me about an hour and a half from start to finish.
I ended up with 5 1/2 quarts. When I bought the containers I thought that they were 2 cup size and they were 4. I know that is huge for jam, but we go through about that every 2 weeks anyway. The guys couldn't wait to get into the 1/2 quart and taste it. They all loved it. How long do you think it is going to last???

No comments: