BOM banner

Friday, September 21, 2012

Pre Op Appointment

Had my pre op appointment today.  I got a little more information on my knee.  I tried to look up bone tears on the internet last night and the only thing that was coming up was the meniscus.  Dr. Jevsevar said that was fine from my MRI.

Casey, said that there is a 3-4 cm cartlidge covering the end of both of the bones in the knee.  It is called articular cartlidge.  The meniscus cushions and stabilizes the knee.  The articular helps the bone glide when you bend it.  That is what I tore.

To fix it they go in and drill holes into the hole that I tore.  That makes it bleed and gives it a new source of oxygen.  That helps it heal.  The blood helps fill in the hole.  Last time they drilled 3 holes and my pain had me in tears, even on the pain killers that they gave me.  I expressed my concern over the pain level since Dr. J said this time he couldn't see from the MRI how big it was. 

Casey told me that he thought that what happened was that I was feeling the pressure from the blood filling the cavity.  He said that I could take pain meds and Ibuphrophen.  They work in two different ways.  The Ibuphrophen would help the swelling and the pain meds of course the surgery site.  That was good to know.  He said that complication was not very common.  I'm a bit disbelieving of that since they make them bleed on purpose.  Seems like that would be a common problem.

No comments: