BOM banner

Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

This year was a bit untraditional for us. Chris and I started out by going over to the Farmer's market. They started it last year. I wish I had taken some money. There were a few things I would have like to have gotten. Several booths had new potatoes, and there were some great looking lettuces.

After the Farmer's market we went over to Washington. There is a new natural food grocer that has opened. They unfortunately were closed for the holiday along with Costco. Like Chris said it is hard when the weekend is a holiday. We actually have time to do something and everything is closed!

We went back to the house and picked up Nathan. We went over to the main park in town to look at the booths and walk around. We do this every year. Usually we get there a little earlier and the boys play some of the water games. They didn't want to do it this year! I did talk Nathan into doing a watermelon seed spitting contest with me. Every year they have tons of watermelon, and it is free. I had one small piece (1st diet cheat) and it was wonderful!

We came home and all relaxed. I got KFC for dinner, but instead of the tradional extra crispy we got the grilled. I tried an experiment (cheat #2). 4th of July just isn't the same without potato salad. I knew that I couldn't have it, but I can have cauliflower. My friend Carole has been substituting cauliflower in her potato salad for about the last year or so. I decided to try it. I put the raw cauli in the food processor and broke it down pretty small. I put it in a steamer bag and steamed it for about 4 minutes. It was tender crisp. I used no fat mayo, and tvp bacon bits instead of real bacon. Everything else was the same. I thought it was a really good sub. It wasn't as creamy as the real thing, but it didn't really taste like cauliflower either. Chris ate it too. It was good enough that I will probably keep doing it once I am on maintence. My family likes mashed cauliflower as well as mashed potatoes. I'm good with that. It is a lot less carbs.

No comments: