BOM banner

Monday, August 15, 2011

Chris and the E.R.

About 10:30 this morning I got a call at work from Darin Hallman. He said that Chris was on his way to the ER with a possible heart attack. He didn't want to call me and scare me and Darin suggested that was probably not a good idea and offered to call me. I thanked him and hung up the phone.

The emergency room is right across the street from work. By the time I got over there, parked and walked to the driveway, Nancy, who drove him was just pulling up. He got out of the car and we walked in together.

They immediately took him to a room and started putting all this stuff on him. I was so grateful for an ER this morning and that we were close. They gave him some medication, took an ultrasound and some bloodwork. Then we were playing the waiting game. When we walked in his pain level was a 6 out of 10. Within about an hour it was down to about a 2.


It started about 9 this morning. He went in to work and the computer stuff they worked on all weekend was still not acting like it should, although it was fixed. He started to stress about that. Then he said his chest started hurting. About 10 he started crying and couldn't control his emotions, and the pain was getting worse. He finally told someone and decided he better find out what was going on. He couldn't beleive that he would have a heart attack!


About noon they came in and said that it looked like it wasn't a heart attack. He started beating himself up for not just working through it. I told him that I would rather have him in the ER than fall over dead somewhere. The nurse told him that the only way to tell the difference in stress attack and heart attack is the EKG and you can only do that at the hospital. The doctor told him that he has had 30 year olds in with heart attacks. You just don't know. He also has a pretty bad family history of heart attacks. Better safe than sorry.


They wanted to keep him overnight just to make sure. They were going to run a battery of tests on him through the night. They put him in his room a little before one, and I went back to work for the rest of the day. Okay, I admit that my body was there, but my head wasn't.


I called the boys and told them to be ready to walk out the door at 5:00. I needed to talk to them but we had to go get our fair entries. This was the only time we could get them back. I got them a few minutes after 5. While we headed out to the fair grounds I told them what had happened. We came back in and stopped at Taco Bell for dinner. I took them over to the hospital while I went to knitting. I had promised one of the girls I would teach them how to do entrelac. I only stayed about an hour and then went back over to the hospital.


After dinner Chris posted that he was in the hospital. All of his boys wanted to come see him. The ER nurse was not happy with me. It wasn't my fault. She asked if he had called everyone he knew. I said, no, he is young men's president. I got a dirty look everytime someone else came. Again, not my fault. We finally left about 9. Visiting hours were over and I was emotionally wiped. Long day!

No comments: