BOM banner

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Another ER Visit

Well Chris and I were in ER again this morning. It wasn't him this time, it was me. I got into bed about 11:30 from work and fell right to sleep. About 12:30 I woke up coughing. Not unusual with all my allergies. This time I couldn't stop. I tried everything, progressively getting stronger. Cough drop, inhaler, and my cough syrup with codine. Nothing was touching it. It seemed like the longer I coughed the worse it got.

Chris woke up about 2:30 to use the bathroom, and asked if I had taken something. I told him everything. I went into the living room so he could go back to sleep. I was out there about 10 minutes and I broke out into a cold sweat and my lungs started to really tighten up. Chris yelled out and told me to get dressed, he was taking me to ER. I put on houseshoes and a jacket. I didn't even put my contacts in. At that point I didn't care. I wasn't panicked. I just wanted it to stop.

The ER is only about 5 minutes from our house. They were dead, thankfully. They took my vitals and then took me right to a room. They gave me a huge dose of prednisone, and a breathing treatment. That calmed about 80% of the cough. They took me to x-ray and then back to my room for another breathing treatment. The second one stopped it almost completely. By this time I had been coughing for 3 hours and I was wiped out. The nurse came in and said that they still didn't like my oxygen levels. They put me on oxygen. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I curled up on my side and was out like a light. I think I was on oxygen for about an hour. They came in and released me to go home.

The doctor said that I was having broncho spasms. That is why I couldn't stop. They think when I first started coughing in bed I aspirated something. Never happened before, and hope it never does again. Chris brought me home and I went straight back to bed. I vaugely remember Nathan kissing me on the forehead. I work up about 12:30. My lungs are still tight and my voice is really hoarse, but I am grateful the coughing is gone.

After I had been awake a while Chris brought me a small box of See's chocolates. Half lemon and half chocolate covred lemon. They had been in the mall last night while I was at work. He bought them to let me know he was thinking of me. Yea! My birthday started early.

No comments: