BOM banner

Monday, December 28, 2009

Zion's Canyon

We planned yesterday to take Ann and Trevor to Zion's. I was able to text my boss and get today and tomorrow off while they are here. Chris said that he couldn't get off because he does not have any back up at the bank. They understood, and didn't expect us to be able to get off.

I made the baked eggs for Ann for breakfast. I made two pans because the sausage one on Christmas day wasn't really enough. I always make her the ham version. We were just sitting down to breakfast and Chris walked in. He got the day off anyway. Ann was really happy. She said it just wouldn't be the same without him.

I had to laugh at Trevor. He took a helping of the eggs and ate them. I told him there was plenty more if he wanted it. He said that he wasn't really a big egg fan. He thought that they were pretty good, and took more.


We figured that there would be snow in Zion's so we all dressed really warm. I had an wear my blue coat that is too big. It was big on her to, but she is always colder than I am and I thought she would need it. Chris gave Trevor a shirt that helps keep the sweat off. I can't remember what it is called right now. He and Nathan have them for scouts. All of the guys were glad they got hats in their stockings!

We got out of the car and started walking and we hadn't gone 100 ft before Ann's teeth started chattering. She said it was just because her hands were cold. I gave her my mittens and that did seem to help. It was beautiful up there. I haven't been up there when there was snow on the ground.

We hiked the Emerald Pools trail. It is a moderate hike. This is scenery on the way up.


There was snow on the trail up, but we didn't have any problem with it. This is at the middle pool. There are 3 of them. Lower, middle and upper. We usually just go to the middle.

Right as we were getting ready to go back down Chris and the kids found a frozen section that would hold their weight. They were skating on it. Ann and Trevor were ice dancing.
This is on the way back down. Looking back at the pools from the underside you can see the waterfall that comes off of the cliff wall.
This is looking back at the cliff from another angle. The next couple of pictures are just different ice formations that we saw.



We had actually hiked up the back side of the pools and of course came down the front side. The trail had snow and a lot of ice. We were slipping and falling all over the place. Ann fell down several times, and just gave up and went down quite a ways one her rear end. We were all afraid of slipping and Nathan was trying to slide down the trail. He made me really nervous. I was afraid he was going to go off the edge. For such a mild mannered kid he has a large dare devil streak!We had Andy take a picture of all of us. I thought it turned out pretty good for having to use my phone. My camera battery died! I joked as he took the picture that I would finally be able to use my winter scrapbook stuff that I have.

No comments: