BOM banner

Monday, June 8, 2009

A Little Taste of Britian

Tracy and Wayne Woodward, both missionaries from my mission live in Morgan. That is just out of Ogden. They invited me to stay with them. It was wonderful to be able to stay with them and share the activities together. Tracy is origianlly from Nottingham. She told me Friday night that there was a English fish and chip shop in Layton. I told her we had to go. It has a little store next to it. It is called a Little Taste of Britian.

I planned my diet for this weekend. They were my two loading days, so it didn't matter what I ate. Even though we were going to lunch I had to have some fish and chips. They were soooo good. The only thing that was missing was the newsprint to wrap them in. The British have fish and chips down to an art. And to top them off, Malt Vinegar.

I will never forget my experience in a fish and chip shop. I had been on my mission a couple of days. My trainer, Sister Rassmussen and I went in for lunch. They handed me mine and I asked for ketchup for the fries. It went silent in the shop. Sister Rass quickly asked for vinegar and told me quietly that they didn't have ketchup. We left and then she told me never to ask for ketchup again. That is a bit of an insult. You have to use malt vinegar. I was very uncertain. The smell of vinegar is very strong. I took one bite and I was hooked!

While in the shop I bought a couple of things for the boys to try. The first was the Robinson's Orange Barley Water. On my mission, I drank this almost daily. It was usually called Orange Squash. No, I don't know why. They also have it in blackberry. I prefer the orange. You just dilute it with water. It is usually warm. They didn't refrigerate it back then, not that I remember anyway.

The other two things I picked up were Cadbury Flake's and a couple of packages of crisps (potato chips). The flakes are a chocolate stick. When you break it, it flakes really well. When we would stop the icecream trucks and get a cone, you would get one of those.

I got two flavors of crisps. Shrimp Cocktail and Cheese and Onion. I would have gotten Salt and Vinegar, but they were out. The shrimp cocktail always tasted close to bbq to me, but with a slight twist.

No comments: