Got up this morning and ate breakfast and then we wanted to finish up the things that we didn't get to yesterday. First of all we went to Bruton Parish Church. We went through the graveyard and looked around. We didn't go inside because there was a fee and we had no cash. This parish has been going since 1715.
Next we went over to the Govenor's Palace and toured that. It was exquisite. As you go into the front entryway you are surrounded by guns and swords. They told us there were more than 500 guns in the house. It was a showy way of intimidating those around him.
The sitting room for the govenor's wife had a pineforte. I've always wondered what they looked like. The chairs in the bedrooms were green and looked like bamboo. I asked about them since I didn't realize there was an Asian influence at this time. I was told they were Chippendale. That did surprise me.
This was a harpsichord. Another instrument that I had never seen before.
From there we went out and saw the cellars and then went into the kitchen. They have a working kitchen that tries to replicate the old recipes as exactly as they can with the fireplace and equipment.
When we exited we came out by the Govenor's garden. They grow all the herbs and vegetables for the meals there.
No comments:
Post a Comment