BOM banner

Monday, July 30, 2012

Non Reving Perils

We got up this morning at 3:00 to be at the airport at 4:00.  Our flight was at 6:00.  One of the pitfalls of non reving is that you can't control the weather.  When I had looked at our flight last night we were fine to get on.  Little did I know what havoc the storm last night was going to cause.  They canceled several flights on Delta and so everyone was rolling over.  We tried 2 and sat around until almost 1:00. 

I finally went and talked to Delta and United.  They both said that they had the same problem.  They cancelled flights last night and there was fog at JFK and they were delaying flights.  They both were of the opinion that we were not going to get out today. 

I went down to Southwest and we could get on there, but we couldn't get our credit card to work in the ATM.  They only took cash.  I didn't know what to do. 

Finally I remembered that there were 3 airports fairly close to each other.  We were at Norfolk and Newport News was only 24 miles away.  I looked at their flights and they seemed pretty open.  I talked to Chris and told him I thought that was our only option for getting home.  We went down to rent a car, but Cheryl from work called and suggested a cab.  I went out to find one and price it.  She quoted me between $60 and $62.  A car was going to cost over a hundred.  We took the taxi. 

We were trying for the 5:00 flight.  We made such good time that we got there in time for the 3:00 to ATL.  The flights didn't look great out of there, but they are a major hub.  We went up to the desk agent and she moved us to the 3:00.  We waited about 15 min and they started boarding.  We got right on. 

We deboarded in ATL and had to change terminals.  We got to our new gate and then got dinner.  By this time we were starving.  We were trying to get on the 8:30pm flight to LAS.  We barely missed it.  The last one they took on was the last one before us.  There was one more flight at 10:00.  That was the last one of the night.

We looked really good until about 20 minutes before boarding.  All of a sudden 3 more people popped in at the top of the list bumping us down.  I was sick.  10 minutes later all of a sudden everyone on the list cleared.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Chris said he had been praying and praying us home.  It doesn't happen often, but the upgraded the plane size.  There were tons of empty seats around me.  Chris and Nathan took 1st class and CJ and I were in business. 

We got into Vegas, got our car and drove straight home.  We got home at 2:30 am this morning.  My alarm went off at 6:30.  Chris didn't get up.  The stinker took the day off just in case, so he could sleep in.  I had to go and work a full day.  I'm glad non reving isn't usually like that.  What a nightmare.  I guess it is worth it though.  We get to see family and we don't have to pay for it.

No comments: